Monday, June 12, 2006

ALOHA from Hawaii!

As much as I'd fallen in love with LA, it was time to move on..... It took 5hrs 43mins to arrive in Honololu Hawaii from LA on lovely American Airlines (AA) - one still had to pay for food -unbelievable!

Anyway, Hawaii is made up of 5 main islands O'ahu, Moloka'i, Maui, Hawaii and Kaua'i. I stayed in Wakiki in O'ahu. O'ahu is the 3rd largest island, the most visited and the most populous, 75% of Hawaiians live here.

Honolulu - Hawaii's capital city has 2 focal points - the historic and business district of downtown Honolulu and the world famous resort of wakiki - a man made beach -shocking! Honolulu has many museums, the statue of King Kamehameha ( revered monarch), the state capital building, chinatown, the lovely port, amazing Diamond Head Crater Hill, Pearl Habor (didn't get to visist) but it seems most tourists flock here to sunbathe on the golden sand, swim in the sheltered cold water, and surf in the gentle waves. It seems everyone in Hawaii surfs, it's the number one sport! The streets and shopping malls are packed with beachwear vendors, honeymooners ( I saw a wedding take place on the beach), japanese tourists, and boys caryying surfboards!

I also decided to partake in a tandem skydive whilst I was here (crazy I hear you say), I know! I thought the same thing just as I was about to jump out of the plane but it was too late to turn back as I was pushed out of the plane by my skydive instructor George! - photo attached.

I really wanted to stop in Hawaii on my trip because I had heard so much about it, but it wasn't quite what I had expected, maybe I would have a different opinion if I had visited one of the other islands. It just wasn't the tropical haven I had imagined....

ciao

p.s forgot to thank Kunle in my last email

mobile +1-2016808745

No comments: