Saturday, July 03, 2010

Home Sweet Home


Back to London for just a visit (before you start getting any
wise ideas.....) What I love the most about London is that everything pretty much stays the same, constant! I did the usual catching up with friends, shopping, dining and partying! yeah! NOT!

I finally had Afternoon Tea at The Dorchester Hotel which was pretty cool, so now I've done Afternoon tea at the Ritz, Claridges and Dorchester, so what next?? hmm.... good question! Maybe Fortnum and Mason? I think the Ritz was the best for Tea but the Dorchester had the best customer service. I also attended a birthday dinner and party at The Dorchester in the Cr
ystal Suite (with over 3000 crystals). Great food, great service, great ambience, great music, great company - fantastic night!


London in the summer isn't complete without a visit to the All England Lawn Tennis Club a.k.a Wimbledon SW19 - an absolutely splendid summer's
day with strawberries and cream, pimms and lemonade and of course tennis - don't forget the tennis! We had great seats on centre court on Day 7, 4th round, in the competitor's guests section just two rows behind the competitors' entourage.


Got to watch Roger Federrer vs Jurgen Melzer (Federrer won, darn!); Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova (Serena won, got to see Venus as well); Andy Murray vs Sam Querrey (Andy won). Of course Rafa Nadal went on to win the overall tournament - yippee!!


I went to see my lovely nephew in boarding school in Lancing College in West Sussex, a pleasant 2 hour-drive from London (except for traffic on the M25) through the immaculate English countryside..hmm.. They have the most magnificent chapel which is one of the landmarks of the south coast (www.lancingcollege.co.uk)

I had to see a musical called "Blood Brothers" which I have been dying to see for years at the Phoenix theatre on Charring Cross road. It was definitely worth the wait. I was gob-smacked by the end of the show and had tears in my tears - I'm becoming so emotional in my young age! Ah! What can I say? It was fantabulous! (naija slang) Definitely worth seeing! I don't want to ruin it by saying what happens, but its about two twin brothers separated at birth who are re-united or should I say destined to find each other. Their steps were ordered...a must see.... Blood Brothers is now third on my best musicals list after Lion King (1) and Les Miserables (2)



With world cup fever on everywhere in the world - very infectious I might add - I had to get behind my boys and support good old England! The final big match was England vs Germany having qualified from the group stage, England was looking to qualify for the next round - the quarter finals but they had to beat Germany first - their nemesis! A big group of us went to watch the match in Home House, a private members club, the ambience was electric! everyone was literally holding their breaths, praying that England would win but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. Germany won, finally score 4-1. :-( Then everyone turned their hopes to Andy Murray.....hmmm.....we all know what happened there...


I also finally visited the talked about Westfield Shopping Centre in Shepherd's Bush. It's very well planned out, I have to give them that but huge just like a maze! Only managed to do The Village and I had a headache! and then had to stop to have dinner at Jom Makan a Malaysian restaurant with fab food and good service. The parking was a bit steep I think, £10 for 4hours! (Watford Shopping centre was even more expensive! £20!) I don't think I'll be going back there anytime soon....

Also went riding in the woods at the Trent Equestrian park on Toby who was up to his old tricks! but still adorable! (I want my own horse!)

Visited my lovely churches Holy Trinity Brompton (HTB) which I miss beaucoup and House on the Rock (HOTR) - love the new building.....

Other cafes/restaurants: Cafe Rouge in New Southgate, newly discovered Ping Pong chain in Marylebone and Hampstead, Chococcino in Southgate, La Creperie in Hampstead, Westborne Pub in Westborne Park (still the same! packed with young beautiful people), Jom Makan in Wesfield, and Jamie Oliver's Fifteen in Islington.....

No comments: