Thursday, July 06, 2006

Atlanta


The journey from Miami to Atlanta took about 2 hours by air on American Airlines (no comments).

Atlanta Georgia, is said to be the 'capital of the New South', and it's supposed to be more brash and faster paced than it's Southern neighbours. For me personally I don't think it had any pace at all - that's mean I know :) I had heard a lot about Atlanta, and I guess it wasn't what I had expected.

As I am beginning to discover, it was imppossible to move around Atlanta without a Car (everyone has a car - hence more pollution and the need for more oil....), the downtown area is just about doable. This cosmopolitan city (?) is home to the World of Coca Cola which was discovered here about 100 years ago, the factory tour includes many TV and print ads (many of them you will remember, depending on how old you are..hmm..) The tour also includes the tasting/fountain room which enables visitors to drink as much coke, sprite, fanta, and all the other coca cola products from around the world - it was fantastic!! Some were nice and some were disgusting!. The security guards had to drag some people out of there (and it wasn't me - honest! ).

I'm sure you've all forgotten that Atlanta hosted the 1996 Olympics, where a bomb went off and one woman died, well they now have the Centennial Olympic Park downtown which commemorates this event. Also in the heart of downtown is 'Underground Atlanta' which is made up of the subterranean streets that were encased under bridges built to bypass the rail yards, this has now been turned into a shopping mall with many restaurants. The Peachtree Centre also has many shops and restaurants and I was aslo able to visit the CCN Centre/Studio, were one is shown the inner workings of the world's first 24-hour news station.

In the Midtown area is Margaret Mitchell's House/Museum (didn't get a chance to go) were she wrote one of my favourite movies 'Gone with the Wind' with Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh) and Rhett Butler (Clark Gable), and I'm sure we all remember that line from the movie when Scarlett says - "..but Rhett, where will I go, what will I do?" and he replies "Frankly my dear, I don't give a ...." - sorry I'm getting carried away. Also in the midtown region is Crescent Avenue where there are bars, clubs and restaurants such as Sutra, Leopard Lounge, Vision etc.

I'm still not sure what I really think of Atlanta as a whole. I seem to have more low points than high points. There were too many homeless and jobless people on the streets (esp Woodruff Park), Alabama street downtown seemed like a ghetto, and the men were very agressive and pushy. For high points, I'll have to get back to you....


(my aero-balloon experience :) )

ciao

For those of you who would like to contact me, you can reach me on +1-2016808745

p.s. thanks to Titi, Tiwaworks and Jennifer

p.s.s. photo attached from Miami that I forgot to attach to my previous email

No comments: