Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Road Trip to Washington DC...




It was a road trip from New York to Washington DC, it took about 4.5hours. Washington DC is the State Capital of the United States of America, with magnificent monuments and superb museums. Within easy reach of the capital are the 4 states Virgnia(named after the virgin Queen Elizabeth I), West Virginia, Maryland and Delaware.

What I love about DC are the monuments, the amazing architecture and the city is just soooo clean! I think it's also very European. The plus point about DC is that everything is free! And most of you know that I love freebies!! All the places I visited were free and they had free water drinking stations too - fab!

'The Mall' is the main tourist area, with the US Capitol (didn't get a chance to go inside - photo attached) on one end and the Lincoln Memorial on the other. I also visited the the National Gallery of Art(West & East), National Museum of African Art, the Reflecting pool, World War II Memorial, Washington Monument, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Jefferson Memorial, The Pentagon Mall, Silver Springs, The White House and Pentagon (both need you to book 2 months in advance!). The highlight of my visit was Georgetown, which is lined with elegant townhouses many of them converted into upscale bars, restaurants and boutiques - beautiful!

I could definitely see myself living in DC but not forever.....


For those who would like to contact me, you can reach me on +1-201-680-8745

p.s. huge thanks to Kimmy, Funmilola, Busola (thanks for letting me crash), Rosie and Aisha

No comments: