Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Singapore Sling!

My 4th stopover/visit to the beautiful and very clean island city of Singapore (don’t remember my 1st visit when I was 6 but my 2nd was last year and my 3rd was a month ago at the airport). It claims to be the gateway to Asia, where you can
experience a delightful blend of races, cultures and cuisine. I did all the touristy things last time so I had to do something different this time! I stayed at the Orchard Hotel on the famous Orchard road, the longest road with millions of shops and malls! J

The 1st destination was the Raffles Hotel! Although I’ve had afternoon tea here before I’d never visited the Long Bar to try the well renowned Singa
pore Sling invented at the Raffles hotel by Sir Stamford Raffles himself! I wasn’t overly impressed with the sling (just like Chapman but stronger – actually I take that back, Chapman is much nicer!), but I was impressed by the hotel once again (you forget how beautiful it is) and the bar, especially the swinging hand fans on the ceiling, and there was a pretty good live band (live bands seem to be a big thing in Asia). The strange thing about the bar was the scantily dressed waiters (one would expect better for Raffles) and the millions of nuts on the floors……bizarre……

The next stop was the Seafood Centre on the east coast - you know I love my seafood J. All the restaurants serve all kinds of fish! We went to the Seafood House where we had prawns, crabs, lobsters and sea bass – yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

And then Movida at the St James’ Power Station – a converted Power station with bars and restaurants. There was a South American band playing (another live band!) but they were great actually! A great bar! Isn’t there a Movida in London????

No comments: