Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Dubai City

Dubai is a beautiful man-made construction site in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on the Persian Gulf. It has the most amazing architecture such as the Burj Al Arab hotel, the only seven star hotel in the world (self-rated I might add).

Whilst there we stayed at the Shangri-La hotel in Jumeirah (very nice) for a few days and then with a friend in Jumeirah. I really liked the Jumeirah beach area, still developing but very beautiful. It was extremely hot weatherwise and as we found out no one really walks around, one spends majority of one's time indoors. So, we did a lot of shopping! There are soo many malls and souks in Dubai! Also known as the 'The Shopping Capital of the Middle East'. We visited Mercato mall (I liked!), Wafi mall, the famous Deira city centre (I thought it was going to be a real city centre), and the gold souk (blinding! didn't buy anything there!) We also had tea at the Ritz Carlton - very nice. I think my next trip here will involve a 4x4 drive in the desert! can't wait!

Extremely disappointed with the duty free at the airport. I had heard so much about it ;-(

No comments: